Tuesday 1 September 2009

My first published Waymark

St Catherine's Church
known locally as Lydiate Abbey
WM74DD



We visited this whilst caching in Lancashire and thought it was such a lovely place it was a shame that it was not a waymark as well. I came home and checked waymarking.com and sure enough it wasn't there so armed with all the information which I had collected I set about making sure that this was published.

My first attempt was rejected as I had used the wrong category for the church so had to resubmit this into the Medieval Church category. Only 8 hours later the WM was published.

St Catherine's Church is also known as Lydiate Abbey. It is believed to have been built c1500 and abandoned about 50 years later. Only the ruins of the abbey exist today.It is 1 of only 2 surviving private chapels in South West Lancashire and it is now a grade II listed building and scheduled monument and is included in the Lydiate Hall and Chapel Conservation area.
Lydiate Abbey was built for the private worship of the Ireland family, Lords of the Manor of Lydiate from c1410 - 1673

Initials of Lawrence Ireland and his wife, Catherine Blundell can be found on the porch of the abbey. Ireland Family were very influential in the area in the 15th century and Lydiate Hall was built sometime around 1470. The eastern part of the Hall was destroyed about 1780, and the Hall was abandoned completely by the late 1800s. Only ruins exist today.

The abbey appears to have been abandoned when the practice of the Catholic religion was prohibited. Local legend holds that a tunnel exists between the Abbey and the Hall to allow the escape of a priest. Another local legend states that the tunnel was between the Abbey and the Scotch Piper pub (now a grade 2 listed building)in order to allow monks to escape the public house. However, there is no documented evidence of this. The adjacent graveyard was used by local Catholic families into the later 1800s.

2 comments:

  1. That is beautiful. I too discovered waymarking recently and intend on taking some photo's so I can publish some too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you,

    Its amazing how many beautiful places there are around our local areas. Before caching and waymarking I used to drive along and not pay any attention to buildings like churches. Now I have a very healthy appreciation for all sorts of places and now I stop and have a really good look round...and eventually they get published. Just had my 2nd one published and am awaiting my third. Fab past time :D

    ReplyDelete